A fun activity using a packet capture file from the log4j exploit (CVE-2021-44228)
Open wireshark and import the PCAP located in this repository: [log4j-exploit.pcap](https://github.com/Apipia/log4j-pcap-activity/blob/main/log4j-exploit.pcap).
Looking at the packets, answer the following questions.
1. **Which Packet numbers contain a TCP 3-way-handshake?**.
_hint: There are 9 of them._
2. **For the first handshake, which server ip and port is establishing a connection with which other server ip and port?**
3. **For the second?**
4. **What service is associated with the destination port?**
5. **For the third?**
6. **Looking at the first 4 packets, what can we determine is the type of service running on 188.8.131.52:8080?**
7. **Looking at the 4th packet, what header contains the payload for Log4shell (CVE-2021-44228)?**
8. **Looking at the first 4 packets, what is the first step of the exploit?**
9. **Which packet contains the reply to packet 4?**
1. **What is the ip-address of the vulnerable server? What is the ip-address of the attacking machine?**
2. **After recieving the initial payload in packet 4 and recieving the ACK packet, packet 5, what action does the vulnerable server take next?**
3. **Which packet from the attacking machine contains the information to redirect the vulnerable server?**
4. **Looking at this same packet, what is the name of the javaClass we are loading?**
5. **What is the name of the javaFactory?**
6. **What does the vulnerable server do next? (Starting at packet 18)**
8. **What packet contains the RCE that is sent to the server?**
9. **Looking at this packet's 'data', what might be the RCE command sent to the vulnerable server?**
10. **What is the order of establishing and finishing connections with the services and ports on each machine?**
11. **What type of service is running on each of the following ports**:
Now that you have answered the above questions, summarize the steps of the exploit takes as it runs.
ex. First, a http request is sent to the server containing...